“I think as long as I have a creative outlet, I’m happy.” -Nat Wolff
There are times in life when we realize that everything is simply too much. It seems as if everything awful that could possibly happen is hitting us like a tidal wave all at once and there is nothing we can do about it. In those moments, when everything is just too much to handle, what are we supposed to do? How are we supposed to take a deep breath and calm down? I’ve learned over the years that when life is far too overwhelming, the best way for me to take a breather is to turn to one of my many outlets and creative outlets. Some people have a very hard time finding what can calm them down, what can make them feel free, so I’m going to share some of my favorite outlets in hopes of giving some of you some ideas!
- Painting- Even if you’re no good, pick up a brush and paint a picture. Get those creative juices flowing.
- Sketch/doodle- If painting isn’t your thing, doodle or sketch a little picture that’ll make you happy.
- Bake something- I absolutely love baking. Seeing the end result, going through the whole process of creating something, it’s amazing.
- Re-Decorate your room- If you’re ever stuck in a rut or feel overwhelmed, changing your space is an amazing way to change things up and start with a clean slate.
- Journal/write- If you’re overwhelmed, you most likely have lots of thoughts circulating throughout your head. Pick up a pen or pencil and write down what you’re thinking, it’s very therapeutic.
- Take some pictures- Grab a camera, whether it be a DSLR or just your phone camera, go outside, and take pictures of things that interest you.
- Listen to music- This is probably the most calming outlet in my opinion. Sitting back and listening to your favorite music, tuning out the world for a bit, nothing beats it.
- Go on a hike/take a walk- Getting out and going into nature is so blissful. Take a second and enjoy the outdoors.
- Dance- This goes along with painting, whether you’re good at it or not, get some endorphins out, have fun, dance.
- Talk to a loved one- This might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I know for me, talking to someone I’m close to helps to relieve some of the stress of life.
Having a creative outlet is needed, because without it, life is much too hard. We are supposed to enjoy life, we are supposed to live, not just be alive, and if our lives are just full of stress, we aren’t doing it right.